Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Future directions for OpenACS

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Keep in mind that the AOLserver community and the ACS/OpenACS community are not one.  At least some of those wanting to fork off AOLserver aren't part of "our" community over here.

To be honest, I'd underestimated just how badly Kris/AOL have handled things, if that's possible.  I mean, I kinda knew, which is why I stuck it to him in private e-mail after he unjustifiably abused Jerry Asher in the public form.  But I ducked out of the community months ago, mostly due to Kriston, partly due to other demands on my time.

It's far worse than I thought.

There will be more news in a few days.

Java ACS 5.0 will be vastly different than Java ACS 4.0.  One of my concerns is that aD has never managed to put out a solid, usable, stable ACS release of any flavor (though I've not looked into the UI and other improvements in 4.1, I'm willing to be pleasantly surprised but am not counting on it).  Now there's dilution of resources, which in my mind means that Michael's right when he talks about Java ACS 5 being 12 (not 6) months away in any solid, comprehensive form.

Java ACS 4 is a dead end.  So is the Tcl ACS 4, but at least we know the basic AOLserver+ADP/Tcl framework works and works very, very well.
We don't know that about Java ACS 4.

And frankly I'm not going to have time to worry about it.  As the ACS 5 picture starts to become clearer, we'll have a better handle on  what it will take to port it.  aD is very interested in supporting at least one Open Source RDBMS with ACS 5, so there should be help available as the project gathers steam.