Forum OpenACS Development: Re: OpenACS 5.0 Upgrade Experiences

Collapse
Posted by Chris Davies on
already had tdom -- that machine was running openacs 5 already.

basically, somewhere in acs-lang, there was a drop that didn't cascade, which didn't allow en_US to be inserted.  Had to manually go through the upgrade scripts and find the two drops that didn't cascade, and paste in the creates.

I needed the acs-lang patch in zz-postload.tcl, and the zz-hack.tcl that is mentioned above.

The other gotcha was the fact that I hit page-down twice, and missed the 'upgrade via /acs-admin/apm/' text.

Also, I had to create a file with this in it to reimport the message catalogs since en_US didn't exist.

lang::catalog::import -locales "en_US"

Once Dave set me straight, it was pretty smooth.  All told, roughly 9 hours of actual time were spent.  Being an OpenACS novice, that's probably slow compared to someone comfortable with OpenACS.  I only had 6 packages and had no custom code on the 4.6.3 site.

After that upgrade, I cleaned up two 5.0-beta* and a 5.0.1 install, moved two from a chroot, eliminated AOLServer 3 on that machine and now have 5 sites running 5.0.4.

A direct comparision puts 5.0.4 noticably faster than the same site when it was running 4.6.3.