Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Guidelines for new modules

Collapse
Posted by Edmund Lian on
<blockquote>>char(1) vs. boolean isn't really much of an issue, as PG stores bools as 'f' or 't' anyway (or at least outputs them in this form, it accepts 'false' or 'true' for input, too). Sticking with char(1) was easier. The queries work unchanged with either datatype.<<
</blockquote>

Oh I didn't know this, OK... still, using a boolean is much nicer from a readability perspective.

<blockquote>>With ACS 4x I intend to use bools in the datamodel.<<
</blockquote>

Will you use any other Postgres specific features, like the text type instead of limiting certain columns to Oracle's varchar limit? Just trying to follow your example...

<blockquote>>As far as writing for 3x vs. 4x, timing should play a factor in your thinking. If you need to roll out a site in the near term, you'll be using OpenACS 3.2. If you don't have a pressing need for the module, consider downloading Oracle and write it for 4.1, doing your best to avoid Oracle-specific features.<<
</blockquote>

I do have/use Oracle, but was switching to Postgres since it has evolved so fast--I think 90% of RDBMS users could probably do with Postgres and avoid the complexity and admin overhead of Oracle. Kudos to the Postgres folks. It's a very nice piece of work indeed.

<blockquote>>But ... if a module writer can support both easily, why not do so?<<
</blockquote>

Hmmm... true, but I guess I was just thinking of taking advantage of all the nice things about Postgres...

Are you, Ben or the others any closer to pinning down a timeline for OpenACS 4x?