Forum OpenACS Q&A: How to register public DNS

Collapse
Posted by Antonio Laterza on
  • I'm running openACS-3.2.4 with postgres 7.0.3. But It isn`t the problem!!
  • I registered my domain name to www.2000domain.net
  • I have a static IP (classless network with netmask 255.255.255.252)
  • I counfigured my own DNS
  • when I attempt to modify the DNS information in "WHOIS" database they always return me the answer:
    Your Primary and secondary name servers are not set up yet. ... Here is the search result for your I.P. in the system:
    Whois Server Version 1.3
    No match for nameserver "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx".
  • My ISP told me that every public DNS must be registered and I could register my DNS machine in www.networksolutions.com.
  • Obviously I have been working on the previous point for a week without any success.
Thanks!
Collapse
Posted by Jonathan Ellis on
What I have done, and what I recommend, is signing up (for free) with the public DNS at granitecanyon.com.  It's a lot less hassle and frankly they will probably screw up a lot less than you or I would. :)
Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Along with registering the actual domain name, you need to register the nameserver that is the authority for that domain.

You have to make sure you register the nameserver not the domain name at this step.

This is the relevant section at netowrk solutions:

This form is used to register or modify a name server within your domain name. Only the administrative or technical contact associated with a domain name may request the creation or update of a host in that domain. Submit to mailto:HOSTMASTER@NETWORKSOLUTIONS.COM.

Possible Actions:
You may replace the coordinator, change host IP address, or change host name.

links to this form: http://www.networksolutions.com/cgi-bin/makechanges/itts/host

I am not sure if anyone else lets you do this registration. Check with the company that registered your domain name.

Collapse
The company that registered my domain www.2000domain.net don't let me do the registration of nameserver. I'm not in "networksolutions"'s WHOIS database: http://www.networksolutions.com/en_US/makechanges/ And I made many submission at: http://www.networksolutions.com/cgi-bin/makechanges/itts/host One of the strange things is that I receive the message:
We are unable to process the Host Form below because
of an error within the form. In particular, we noted
the error indicated at the bottom of this message.

=========================================================================

< Murat 60
       Milano, Italia 20159
       I>
VALID: < Street/PO Box Address>
       < City>, < State> < Zipcode>
       < Country>

=========================================================================

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
What is the domain name in question? Network solutions only handles .COM .ORG and .NET top-level domains. If it is not one of them, you need to contact the authority for that TLD.
Collapse
Yes, .NET domain.
Collapse
Posted by Jonathan Ellis on
Like I said, instead of trying to force it to register your own nameserver, just use ns1 & ns2.granitecanyon.com and set up your records there.

If your registrar won't let you do THAT, you need a new registrar.

Collapse
Yes, I'm thinking to use this options.

Thank's to Dave and Jonathan

Collapse
9: Use Register.com (response to 1)
Posted by Robert Schlaff on
If you use register.com to register your domain they'll give you free domain name hosting (i.e. you don't even have to use granitecanyon). Basically it's point and click to set up your site and only costs the same $35 a year that network solutions charges for just registering the name.
Collapse
Posted by Bob OConnor on

Another service that I have used is www.domaindirect.com For $39.95 you get registration plus a really cool interface that lets you redirect to ANY free webspace you can find such as the space that comes with dialup ISP accounts. You can hide your messy myisp.com/users/~its_a_me with www.greatstuff.com

Renewals are $25/yr including registration with the OpenSRS registrar. Part of www.tucows.com