Forum OpenACS Development: Response to Update on the porting effort.

Collapse
Posted by Talli Somekh on
Yes, _please_ update us.

To be honest, I'm a little confused why the kernel team is spending a lot of effort on the OpenNSD campaign when people are begging for the port.  I understand that this is an important issue, but I don't see how it can be the priority.  IMO, OpenACS4.X needs to be the community's primary objective at least for the next few months.  We are waiting in the blocks to use OpenACS4 and to help the porting effort.  I realize that a _great_ deal of thought and work has been done already by Don, Ben and others.  My problem is that none of this has been made available to really look at.

I've suggested more transparency on this site and it seems to have fallen on deaf ears.  I was told there were supposed to be posts about the timeline, scope, etc last week and nothing showed up.  I've tried to ask questions behind the scenes and I thank those I queried for their responses, but I still haven't seen any movement.  I imagine that I was not the only one trying this.  I think I'm understandably frustrated after what I think were mellow efforts to find out how things were progressing.

I understand that this is a volunteer and community effort and there is a certain amount of waiting implicit in that.  If there are time conflicts then please address them here and perhaps the community can assist in helping with some of those commitments.  But since a commitment has been made, the community is _begging_ for the system and there are plenty of people out there willing to help, let's get this thing going!