Forum OpenACS Development: Response to Guidelines

Collapse
9: Response to Guidelines (response to 1)
Posted by Don Baccus on
OK, a couple quick comments:
  • sysdate()'s not inefficient. The problem is that PG doesn't have the equivalent of "create or replace function", and the compiled-in reference to the function call in the datamodel means that dropping and creating a functino forces you to drop and create any table referencing it.

If we're 100% sure a function will never change, we won't be causing update problems for our users, but if we're not ... well, I think you see the problem.

now()'s built in and guaranteed not to change.

BTW, Oracle has a similar problem if you drop/create functions - that's why they've got the "create or replace" non-standard query. PG will be getting something equivalent, probably in 7.2, but for now we're best off just avoiding user functions in the datamodel unless we there's no alternative available.

• I would rather change "nvl" to "coalesce" and "decode" to "case" rather than use overloaded functions.

They're easy to recode, and the resulting query works in both Oracle and PG so you don't need to split into separate queries for this reason alone. I've been trying to get aD to use these rather than the Oracle-isms but obviously with no success thus far. They do exactly the same thing.

An additional reason for rewriting the query to use proper SQL92 forms is that IB tends to support proper SQL92. If we rewrite the queries to use "coalesce" and "case" we're part-way home for a port to other DBs that follow the standard.

Since the rewrite doesn't break Oracle, and since it won't add significantly to our burden, my thinking was "why not change 'em".

The reality here is that aD is making life unnecessarily hard by not using SQL92 constructs when Oracle supports them.