Forum OpenACS Q&A: openacs.org upgrade: Necessary steps

Thanks to the outstanding work of Joel, Dave and others the openacs.org upgrade process continues (see http://angora.furfly.net:8000/weblogger/ for more details).

I'd like to point out necessary steps that I heard still have to be taken on the site to collect a checklist which I (and hopefully others) might be of help ticking off.

• Upgrade of the database to PG 7.4.x ?
  • Upgrade of the stock features of openacs.org to 5.1 (mostly done, if I understand correctly, see upgrade script).
  • RSync of content repository content files.
  • Install openacs.org specific ETP applications and templates.
  • Collect a list of changes between stock OpenACS 4.5 and openacs.org (doing a CVS diff ?).
    • RSS Feed for bug tracker
    • Forum extensions ?
  • Copy / Port differences to the new site and test them
  • Switch the site over during a meeting with multiple people :)
    • Shutdown openacs.org ?
    • Grab a database dump and transfer it to angora
    • Run the upgrade script
    • Transfer all the CR files
    • Bring up the new site
    • Change DNS entry
    • Multiple missing steps ??
This is just a list of things that jump into my mind, not having worked on the upgrade so far. I hope others can complement this or hit me with a link showing me the page where this is already detailed.

Obviously each step will most likely involve multiple substeps, but I wanted to keep it short.

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Malte,

The most important step is moving the OpenACS CVS repository.

It needs to be on the same machine as the web site.

There is already a copy of the CVS repository on the machine. I am not sure if anyone setup Rsync to update it yet.

Collapse
Posted by Jeff Davis on
I think we should switch without the rss feed for bug tracker and some of the other customizations; most are useful but I think it would be better to get to the current version of OpenACS since there are a huge number of other things that will improve when we do.

The things that we notice as different or in need of improvement we can fix and we can be more careful to get them into CVS and the regular release.