Forum .LRN Q&A: Re: Forums Review by the UAB

Collapse
Posted by Matthias Melcher on
Thank you, Jeff.
Although I could not look into kuro5hin, "dynamic, threaded", sounds fine.

You asked me "Are any of the discussions from Dorothea's course online somewhere  that I could look at to get a feel for how deep the nesting is and how long the posts are typically?"

I put an anonymized thread up her http://www.rzuser.uni-heidelberg.de/~x28/911/ .

Collapse
Posted by Dorothea Fischer-Hornung on
Wow, Matthias, What a great analysis of three days of work! If you were to compare my two sections of this course (about 13-15 in each section) you would see that it has exploded exponentially in just a few days.

The two sections have dealt with the forum very differently. I had given both sections clear instructions to post ALL their contributions under the Week 1 header. One section complied very well, which lead to a VERY long thread of contributions. The other section has many individual headers: either they can't read and follow instructions or they instinctively tried to create a personal section structure. The result is very confusing since there is no way to relate contributions for one thread to another and there is no way for me as a teacher to move things to try to do some didactic "housekeeping."

Your contribution showed me how very complex our forum structure is (after only 3 days!) and why I feel the need so strongly for a better tool. Thanks for visualizing this for all of us.