Forum OpenACS Q&A: how to uninstall postgres

Collapse
Posted by sagnik nandy on
How do I uninstall postgress? I tried the -e option in the rpm command
but that doesn't seem to be working. Can any one help please?????
Collapse
Posted by Edmund Lian on
Here's a link to the Redhat RPM documentation: http://www.redhat.com/support/books/max-rpm/max-rpm-html/index.html

I use Debian, hence the link in-lieu of a real answer!

Collapse
Posted by Kenny Chan on
Sounds to me you have a failed dependencies problem. You could try removing all postgresql rpm's at once:

%rpm -e postgresql-server postgresql-devel ....... blah

you can find out all the installed postgresql rpms by:

%rpm -qa |grep postgresql

Good luck

Collapse
Posted by Kenny Chan on
Sagnik,

I also noticed that you are using the other OpenACS RPM's. Even tho you uninstall all the postgresql rpms at once (as mentioned in my previous response), it would not work because there will still be failed dependencies on the pgdriver, aolserver and openacs rpm's. If you REALLY want to uninstall postgresql in this case, you will have to reverse the sequence that you have the rpm's installed and uninstall them one by one.

Also, after reading thru other threads you posted, I assume you are trying to upgrade the postgresql from 6.x to 7.0x. For your information, RPM has an option of -U, which does upgrading. But then, if you are running 6.x now, you will have to reload the data model for 7.0x. So what you should do now is to remove all OpenACS-related RPM's in reverse order and then reinstall everything with the new Postgresql version RPM.

Again, please read the documentations and not just use the RPM for "ease", you would lose the chance to learn some fundamental knowledge about setting up OpenACS.

Sincerely,

Collapse
Posted by S. Y. on
The rpm command can be used with brute force.

rpm -e --force --nodeps foo bar ...

Note that the force and nodeps flags work quite fine with installation and upgrading via rpm. Read those man pages.

Collapse
Posted by mister ijoi on
hi...
i already install postgres using tarball...my postgres not working properly...so how to uninstall my postgres???

mister ijoi

Collapse
Posted by Roy Kisembo on
Uninstalling postgres on alinux platform

Well, when uninstalling the server package, all running
process are stopped ,you don't have to stop it.

use rpm -qa grep|postgres : To find the list of postgres
packages.

Use rpm -e package-name : to remove postgres packages