Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Future directions for OpenACS

Collapse
Posted by Jonathan Ellis on
Maybe I'm totally smoking something, but I actually like tcl. :) Perhaps it's because my short term memory is worse than the next guy's, but tcl's minimalist approach is really appealing to me. Sure the rules are unusual, but they're totally consistent. I really do believe small is beautiful. :) I don't think I'll move away from tcl as my web scripting language of choice any time soon.

I did take a look at the PyWX page and the examples really don't strike me as, "OH WOW LET'S REWRITE EVERYTHING IN PYTHON." It seems to me that AOLServer's C API isn't nearly as useful as the tcl API, particularly when you add all of aD's work to the tcl side.

It's great that Python is an alternative to TCL and JS, but I don't see any compelling reason to do a rewrite in that. I could see writing some pages / modules in python where more complicated processing has to go on than "grab stuff from the DB and write it out," because let's face it sometimes lists of lists and associative arrays just aren't enough. But OpenACS isn't ACS and I don't see us wasting thousands of man-hours rewriting something that works perfectly well.