Forum OpenACS Q&A: photo album - how to add a picture to different folder

Hello,

How easy would it be to add a picture in several folders without having to upload it several time.

TIA

Yves.

Do you want to upload it to several folders or do you want to have it accessible from other folders? Just asking because in the first case you would store it multiple times physically in the CR, whereas in the latter case you'd only store it once and link to it.
I would like to store it once and link to it.

For example:

I have a folder "by date" and album "January" and another folder "by place" and an album "Brussels". I would like "pic1" to show in both album.

thanks.
Yves.

Collapse
Posted by Jeff Davis on
I think it sounds like what you really want is categories and category based browsing not upload to multiple folders. Weblogger has this sort of browsing now and I think it would be a great thing to add to photo-album.

Of course it's a non-trivial amount of work to add and the kludgey fix (upload to multiple folders) would be an easier change to make in the very short term.

Yes Jeff; it will be a great thing indeed to have the categories working as in weblogger.

I thought that in the meantime it would maybe easy to "map" a cr object to multiple folders.

Would this be also interesting for file storage?

thanks