Forum OpenACS Development: Response to What's on the critical path?

Collapse
Posted by Jon Griffin on

CMS

I think the CMS will be the killer app for OpenACS. That said, as it exists now it is almost unusable by a programmer and good luck with end users (I have tried).

I really think that a straight port of ACS Classic may be the wrong thing to do. For one, I hope that i18n support is built-in and not an afterthought.

Here is a list of some other things I think should be looked at:

• Templates - fairly complete but still a burden. This may be alleviated if a page builder or something similar gets written.
  • Email for login - I know that I am not the only one who has had requests for not using email as a means of identifying a member. In fact most sites I surveyed don't require email and instead use a handle or username. This is fixable in Classic but a major pain if you want to upgrade. It is actually more legacy cruff leftover from long ago
  • Hardcoded values - My personal pet peeve is seeing reference data or lookups that have hardcoded (either by pl/sql or tcl) values. It is lazy programming at its worst. I can't think of many cases (booleans, y/n, etc, and even y/n could turn to maybe!) where a simple table lookup wouldn't be infinitly more flexible.