Forum OpenACS Q&A: installing AOL server under SUSE LInux

I followed the quick install guide for the aol server. I got as far
as testing the installation and I received some errors. Can anyone
help ? What am I doing wrong ? Any advice is greatly appreciated,
thanks in advance.

nsadmin@linux:~ > cd /home/aolserver

nsadmin@linux:/home/aolserver > ./bin/nsd -kt nsd.tcl

nsadmin@linux:/home/aolserver > [24/Mar/2001:17:26:10][8201.1024][-
t1024-] Notice: nsd.tcl: starting to read config file...
[24/Mar/2001:17:26:10][8201.1024][-t1024-] Warning: nsd.tcl: nsssl
not loaded because key/cert files do not
exist.

[24/Mar/2001:17:26:10][8201.1024][-t1024-] Warning: nsd.tcl: nscp not
loaded because user/password is not set.
[24/Mar/2001:17:26:10][8201.1024][-t1024-] Notice: nsd.tcl: finished
reading config file.
[24/Mar/2001:17:26:10][8201.1024][-main-] Error: could not re-open
log /home/aolserver/log/server.log: Permission denied
[24/Mar/2001:17:26:10][8201.1024][-main-] Fatal: Could not open
server log /home/aolserver/log/server.log:
Permission denied

Collapse
Posted by Jacques Williams on
The warnings are because you haven't set up nssl and nscp. You don't need to worry about those unless you want to use them. The error you're getting is because the user that nsd is running as (probably nsadmin) does not have write permissions on the directory /home/aolserver/log. If you run chown -R nsadmin /home/aolserver/log as root, that should fix the problem.
Collapse
Posted by Pavel Boghita on
thank you for your response, that did the trick
Collapse
now, what do I have to do to look up "yourdomain.com:8000" as per instructions ? In my browser (netscape) I have apache server running as default. How do I get to see the aol server default page, to know that I am actually runnig the server?
Collapse
Posted by Jacques Williams on
"http://yourdomain.com:8000", except that you need to have changed
"yourdomain.com" to your actual domain name.
Collapse
That's my problem, I don't fully understand what "yourdomain.com" stands for. How do I link "yourdomain.com" to a directory on my computer ? As I have previously installed OpenAcs in /web, now I have something like /web/localhost, is this the directory where my web is going to be? and how do I link it to "yourdomain.com"...or "mydomain.com" ?....
Hope the above makes sense...and thanks for keeping up with me :)
Collapse
Posted by S. Y. on

"Yourdomain.com" stands for the domain name that you paid for at Network Solutions, Registrars.com, etc. For this Q&A forum, "yourdomain.com" is "openacs.org". At Photo.net, it's "www.photo.net". You need to replace occurrences of yourdomain, yourserver, yourservername, whatever with the values specific to your machine, your AOLserver server name, your ACS installation, etc. You have to figure out what these values are and edit the appropriate files.

Collapse
8: Domain Name Issues (response to 1)
Posted by Walter McGinnis on

If you haven't registered a domain name that corresponds to your IP address, then try changing your hostname parameter to your IP address:

For example I have a development machine that's web server is only on a LAN, I use the following in my .ini file:

[ns/server/ecom_4x_dev/module/nssock]
timeout=120
Address=10.0.0.10
Hostname=10.0.0.10
Port=8003

In a .tcl configuration file it would look this:

set httpport               8003
# The hostname and address should be set to actual values.
set hostname               10.0.0.10
set address                10.0.0.10

Hope this helps,

Collapse
Posted by Ola Hansson on
Walter,
At least it solved my problem. Thanx!
Collapse
Thank you all for your answers. I think I need to mention that I am just starting with Linux, OpenAcs, and all this technology. So I have a lot to learn.

I am now in the process of setting up the nsd.tcl file so I can get the index.html from the /home/aolserver/server/server1 directory to run, and that will tell me that the aolserver is running ok ,right ?
I want to set nsd.tcl file up so the browser will take my machine as the webserver. (I haven't managed to do this in Windows with apache).

When I open Netscape I get apache runnig as default at http://localhost...how do I set nsd.tcl file so that at http://localhost I get the aolserver page, or what do i need to type in my browser to test the installation (in the instruction there was a mention of "yourdomain:8000", but I am unsure of how to translate this.

Also for example in "set homedir    [file dirname [ns_info config]" what does the ns_info config reffer to? or I can just change everything in the square brakets to whatever I wish (i.e. /home/aolserver). Where there is a $ sign in front of something, like in ${homedir} does this stand for something like put here whatever was set up as homedir?

Sorry if the above may sound daft or plain stupid, but this is the level I am at for the moment. I appreciate any answer.