Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Future directions for OpenACS

Collapse
Posted by Pedro Lima on
Note to jerry asher: I never signed as IDiscovery Support (you missed), but I guess I have the similar opinions.

About the fall of Zope. Of course it's my opinion, but I based it in several facts. In the article mentioned above John Udell tells that people at Digital Creations are doing heavy thinking to redesign Zope to make it better for python developers. If they are doing it it's because they think they are not (yet?) in the right direction (right?).

Also, when Zope was made open source all (or nearly all) python web projects stopped and everybody started using Zope (myself included). In the last year a lot of action started in different directions from Zope. Here is my list of new python ways to develop a web site.
  • Webware is a app engine written for python. I tried it and it feels like the Java Servlet design ported to python.
  • Mod_python is like modperl, persistent python in the apache server. I like this one.
  • mod_snake another persistent python in the apache server, more targeted at apache 2.0
  • PyWX you all know this one.
  • Quixote uses only the zope object database.
Also many people wrote articles with titles like "why not zope".

In my opinion it's a lot of people looking for a better direction (maybe not too different from what's going on at openACS and aD). In my opinion this means "the fall" of Zope, but I can be wrong.