Forum OpenACS Q&A: PostgreSQL 7.1 RC1 Beta and OpenACS 3.2.4

IS IT TIME TO GO WITH 7.1?

Ok, I see that PostgreSQL 7.1 RC1 Beta is out and available. It's not easy to find on the postgresql.org site. I had to do a google search and found it via the appwatch.zdnet.com site:

The ftp directory is at:
ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/dev/
and the file postgresql-7.1RC1.tar.gz is (I assume) the one I want.

QUESTIONS:

* If you were starting today, would you use 7.1 over 7.0.3 with OpenACS 3.2.4?

Robert Mello's Great Install guide in section 5.6 (Feb2001) has only a brief mention of 7.1 with only the mention of a change to bookmarks.sql.
* Are there other notes, hints or other help available in using 7.1 with OpenACS 3.2.4?

Don Baccus included BACKUP .tcl script in section 4.3 of the Getting Started Guide that creates a pg_dump file of 7.0.x data.
* Can this old data be imported to 7.1 without problems?

* Any other gotcha's that I missed?

Thank you!
-Bob

Collapse
Posted by David Kuczek on
This is not really an answer to your question, but people that think about setting up a system on PG 7.1 - OpenACS 3.2.5 - and the Linux 2.4.x Kernel might find it useful. This is a Q & A with Bruce Momjian (a steering guy at Postgresql and VP of Development at www.greatbridge.com) from March 21st.
Collapse
Posted by Vinod Kurup on
Hi,

As far as I can tell, there's no pressing need to move to 7.1 if you're sticking with OpenACS 3.2.4.

I recently updated to 7.1b6 (to prepare for openacs4) and I was able to import my 7.0.3 dump data. It's not quite 'plug-n-play' because 7.0.3 exports the dump data in the wrong order and when you try to import pg7.1 can't find your function definitions because they are defined later in the file.

There are 2 workarounds - manually fix the dump file so that the order is restored. I believe Ken Chakiris created a script that does this and more in this thread.

The other workaround is to create your new 7.1db, load the functions from /web/${servername}/www/doc/sql/postgres.sql first and then load the dumpfile. I used this method and it worked for me. It's described by Don in this thread

Collapse
Posted by Jonathan Ellis on
<i>If you were starting today, would you use 7.1 over 7.0.3 with OpenACS 3.2.4?</i><br>
<br>
Yes, definitely.  I'm going to move to 7.1 rc1 pretty soon (or rc2 if it happens before I have time to compile rc1 :).  The OpenACS itself doesn't require it, of course, but some of the new features are VERY welcome.  Outer joins, write-ahead-logging (resulting in MUCH faster dml), arbitrarily-long (and user-transparent) varchars, and subqueries in FROM clauses.
Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
As has been true of every PG release I've dealt with in the last two
years or so, PG 7.1 fixes a *lot* of significant bugs.  It is worth
upgrading for that reason alone.