Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: 5.1 - Screen name & anonymous posting

Collapse
Posted by Randy Ferrer on

Ok, I see where I was confused. I turned on the UseEmailForLoginP parameter and now as you mention, it asks for the username for login - great. I missed that parameter as I was perusing the acs-kernel params. 😟

Isn't the screen name redundant, as well as confusing for the typical user? I'm thinking of the typical visitor to a site. You register and you get asked for a username and then for a screen name. It's not bad enough that the user has to find one unique user name, but two. ??? Is there a reason why this was implemented like this?

As far as the ScreenNameP parameter - it reads "Set this to 1 if you want to show screen names instead of real names." Seems clear, but it's not working. It seems trivial to implement this though I would prefer to have to deal with only one username and do away with the screen name field or vice versa. Some standard way of dealing with this should be agreed upon so that future code upgrades are easier to deal with. 😊

As far as SolicitScreenNameP - there is a param in acs-kernel called ScreenName which you set to none, solicit or require and it behaves accordingly.

Thanks a million for the input Tilmann, I appreciate the assist. I totally missed the UseEmailForLoginP param when I looked through the acs-kernel params.