Forum OpenACS Q&A: New File Storage included in 3.2.5???

I found this thread from October 2000 and Ben said that there might be a new file storage module with the 3.2.5 release.

Is this still a topic or is there any other path the file storage module will follow, like a new version within openacs 4.x?

Thanks
Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
The first question's one for Roberto...

Regarding OpenACS 4.x, the file storage module in ACS 4.x is a rewrite  based on the content repository.  We've been discussing rewriting the  content repository to optionally allow persistent object in either the db or filesystem - a best-of-all-worlds solution, perhaps?

Collapse
Posted by David Kuczek on
Roberto,

does a new version of the file storage exist? Beside the October thread by Ben it wasn't mentioned anymore on the bboard. It would really help our platform, because it is integrated as a main module.

Thanks

Collapse
Posted by Roberto Mello on
The new file-storage module was committed to CVS last night. It will
be released as BETA as there are some issues with it (that we'll be
able to quickly track down with the help of the community *hint). The
module will be disabled by default, with the old data model being
loaded unless you tell it specifically to load the new-file-storae.sql
data model.
Collapse
Posted by Bruno Mattarollo on
Hi there ... Maybe my question is dumb but why I started to see names on datamodels and tcl file with "ae"? Even files called "ae"... Excuse me but I didn't had latin at school so maybe it's my ignorance... Can someone enlighten me?
Collapse
I am not sure if this is an answer to your question, because you didn't post an example, but i.e. within the events module there is a tcl file called venues-ae.tcl, which means that you can add and edit an event venue with this file. You can find it in events/admin/venues-ae.tcl I suppose...
Collapse
Posted by Bruno Mattarollo on
Thanks ... I get the point now ... One example is the post from Roberto, just before mine ... But in that case it maybe just a typo but it reminded me of some other things I saw in ACS classic (3.x) like the Room reservation package ... But now that you mentionned that "ae" is not latin 😊 it's add/edit 😊 Will all this ArsDigita and other latin things it's easy to get confused ...
Collapse
Roberto,

couple questions. Is it intended that we have

1.) two files in /www/doc/sql (file-storage.sql - new-file-storage.sql)
2.) files in /www/file-storage that are valueable for the new-file-storage but not for the old
3.) the old file in /tcl (file-storage-defs.tcl)

And then: Am I correct to believe that the new file storage will be quicker because it will save files inside the file-system and wouldn't have to perform the cpu intensive blob hack? Perhaps you or Ben could quickly name some changes between new and old.

Thanks
Collapse
Posted by Roberto Mello on
Bruno: yes it was a typo. "storae" and "storage" are very close.

David: Since new-file-storage is beta, the plan is to have two
directories under www: file-storage and new-file-storage. And two sql
files.

It looks like we hade a little CVS confusion, but this will be
corrected before 3.2.5 is frozen (which should happen as soon as we
get the file-storage and intranet patches straightened out).

Since I am at it, I am committing the intranet patch that Chris Hardy
submitted and that was reviewed by Dan later today, so we may be able
to freeze 3.2.5 today to unleash the gates of testing :)