Forum OpenACS Development: Response to Need better sign-posting in openacs.org

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Yes, I was thinking of enhancements to the SDM as well, in fact this project we're embarking upon will be a great source of ideas for improving the SDM to the point where it becomes a really great tool for helping manage distributed software development projects.  (Intranet has things that would help, too).

I have a hesitancy to suggest we invest too much effort in the short-term, though, because openacs.org is 3.2 based and of course any  general enhancements we do would need to be dragged over to 4x.  If we made use of the back-port of the 4x db API and tools like the ad page validation stuff the amount of rehacking necessary to bring it all over to 4x for general release would be minimized.

While I'm writing, here's a status report for you that I wish were an April Fools' Day joke:

I worked on the APM for an hour or so on the plane home yesterday.  Got up today, did an Oracle startup via svrmgrl, no complaints.  Fired  up my oracle acs_4 installation and it died with horrible "block 1 corrupted" error messages.  svrmgrl/shutdown gave horrible whining internal-error messages and refused to shutdown the db.  Upon rebooting svrmgrl/startup Oracle barfs in a similar fashion.

I can't even build a new database it is hosed so bad.  So here I sit about to reinstall oracle on my laptop.

And to think that for the past two years when people ask me about PG vs. Oracle I've been saying "PG's getting a lot better but if you really, really need a bullet-proof guarantee against database corruption Oracle's still your best bet".

Yeah.  Harumph.

I still hope to finish up my APM changes by today but the day promises  to be a longer one than I imagined when I awoke this morning.