Forum OpenACS Q&A: upgrade from PG 7.2.4 to 8.3.4 and OACS 3.2.5 to 5.1

I would like to run OACS 5.1 on my server that currently holds an old oacs 3.2.5 installation on PG 7.2.4... The docs say that you have to run PG 7.3.4 for OACS 5.1. If this is correct, I would have to upgrade my version of PG first.

Does anybody run OACS 3.2.5 on PG 7.3.4? Could somebody think of any obstacles in moving to a new PG version? Maybe any specific OACS 3.2.5 issues concerning the maximum identifier length? (https://openacs.org/forums/message-view?message_id=109337)

Cheers

the PG team doesn't make backwards compatibility a design priority.  Just get used to stuff breaking when you upgrade. :-|

Doesn't 5.1 work on PG 7.4 though?  If so you should save yourself some hassle and upgrade to the latest.

David, you can also run more than one version of Postgres on the same server.
Collapse
Posted by David Kuczek on
... of course I mean PG 7.3.4 or even better as Jonathan mentioned PG 7.4 ...

Does anybody have experience running two PG versions on one server? I heard that you would have to run them on different ports etc. How do I exactly compile? No problems with PG 7.4 on 5.1 are there?!

Use PG 7.4.x, no problems with OACS 5.1. You can run both PG versions on the same server, just use different ports, no need to compile them differently (though you should make sure that you use /usr/local/pg74 or something like that as your prefix for ./configure).

I'm fairly confident you will run into problems upgrading OpenACS from the 3.2.5 version though (but I think that is not your intention). Running 3.2.5 on PG 7.4 won't work most likely either, but you might be lucky (just try).

Carnage Blender is still running 3.2.5-derived code, on PG 7.4 as of last month.  There were a bunch of incompatibilities but it wasn't as bad as moving from 7.0 to 7.2.

On the other hand my three favorite features are

- the planner for IN is now smart and you don't have to rewrite all your subselects as EXSISTS queries
- queries on views with UNIONs in them use indexes
- '2 minutes' no longer requires an explicit cast to be an interval (hey, the little things count :)

Collapse
Posted by David Kuczek on
Hey Jonathan,

do you recall the incompatibilities?

Cheers