Forum OpenACS Q&A: oacs wiki?
Do we have a wiki solution for oacs at the moment? Is there any similarity in syntax to i.e. wikipedia's wiki? What about link and image handling?
MarketshareFrom CT article on WikiWebs 25, 01. Dec. 2003.
- MediaWiki/WikiPedia 68,65% (largest sites)
- UseModWiki 16,32% (easiest to install)
- Wiki (orignal) 7,19%
- Twiki 4,49% (most used in intranets)
- MoinMoin 1,75%
- PhpWiki 1,59%
Fastest Fulltext SearchFrom CT article on WikiWebs 25, 01. Dec. 2003.
For 10 000 pages with 80Meg of files.
- WikiPedia 1s
- PhpWiki 2,5s
- MoinMoin 9,6s
- UseModWiki 45,5s
- Twiki -
Feature-ComparisonFrom CT article on WikiWebs 25, 01. Dec. 2003.
MediaWiki MoinMoin PhpWiki Twiki UseModWiki Language PHP Python PHP Perl Perl Backend MySQL Text GDBM,MySQL,Pg RCS legacy i18n >20 8 7 English 18 Notification + + - + + Edit-Conflicts Doublewindow Warning Merging Lock Doublewindow WikiWords - + + + + Free Links + + + - + Latex + + - + + File-Upload + + + + + License GPL GPL GPL GPL GPL techn. Doc. - ++ - ++ +/- user Doc. +/- + + + - Featureslist + + +/- ++ + Usability ++ ++ + -- + Scalability ++ - + - -
Comparison to ETP
- Extending ETP with WikiWords or also called CamelCase is easy
- Extending ETP with Free Link syntax link [[My Link]] is also easy
- We need file upload/foto album functionality -> a file storage package is needed
- We need comments for each page and subtopic (not sure if that exists)
- Not sure if we have confict resolution if two person edit the same page
- Latex support is often used to allow the rendering of graphics
I have tested it and it works ok until you try to add a new page, at least under OACS 5.1. :) But with some modifications I am sure it would work. The package was written by Dave Bauer.
Here is a reference to the syntax used (image handling included): http://mini.net/tcl/14
Hope it helps.