Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Anybody been banned from aD's site?

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Note that jim was banned in part because of his psuedonymous posting, i.e. the person banning him presumes that "jim zamboob" is not his real name.

I actually think that's a reaonsably good reason to kick someone's account, if it is true.  "Jim's" not kicked off the bboard, he can always post under his real name.

Jim, is "jim zamboob" really your name?  If not, why aren't you using your real name here?

I've been alternatively harsh and forgiving towards aD for a very long time, and have never seen any reason to try to hide my identity.

Hmmm...I think this is the longest thread we've ever had on openacs.org.  Let's funnel this energy into the OpenACS4.x project!

As far as my giving up on aD, I should really clarify that statement a bit.  At the moment, I could care less about ACS 5 Java, though I was very pleased to hear last January that multi-db support was a consideration and because of that a lot of application logic would be pulled out of PL/SQL into the Java level.  The opposite of the path taken with ACS 4.x (the PL/SQL decision will hurt efforts to port to dbs like InterBase more than PostgreSQL, and aD *did* check with us OpenACSers to make sure that we were confident that we could port the PL/SQL code to PL/pgSQL before making their decision to take this path .  Just so there's no misunderstanding).  The fact that aD is taking the view that the past "Oracle uber alles" attitude is perhaps unreasonable is very welcome, but other than that ACS 5 Java's off in the future, another entire rewrite, and simply not relevant to my life.

So my "I'm giving up on aD" statement should be taken very much in the context of my lack of interest in ACS 5 Java and aD's coming abandonment of ACS 4.x Tcl.

ACS 5 Java will attract new people to the aD world.  Overlap with the crew here might be minimal, hard to say, a lot of us have no need to drop our existing Tcl efforts and many may just ignore it, especially if some of the more interesting parts are proprietary rather than Open Source.  But there will be an ACS 5 Java community.  My hope is that aD learns from past mistakes and that the ACS 5 Java community, with its many new faces who haven't been burnt by past aD decisions, will be managed in a better way.