Forum OpenACS Development: Re: .LRN user interface design

Collapse
Posted by Mark Aufflick on
RE: The notification bar. I think having many multiple types is a bad idea - the simpler the better.

Having two fixed types (ie. warning/notification) IMHO is a good idea. Either that or we enforce the bar for errors & warnings only, which is impractical.

If we are stuck with one, then I think the colour needs to be less scary - a deep orange or something - so it indicates it wants your attention, but doesn't make you think you just lost oxygen pressurization in your space home.

Going for multiple types has a few implementation and display trickeries. For instance if a page logs both an error and a notification, you now need to display two widgets (with their own styles) rather than just one with two lines.

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Lars, Mark, I see you point. My question now is though, where would we put a notification bar? The idea is to be able to send messages to a user using the webinterface (besides you got mail "new posting in forum x", "user y wants to chat with you, please start jabber here", aso...).

Regarding the multiple notifications, I'd put error messages first and add a "more messages .." link to it, displaying all messages. If the user continues calling a different page, the top most message of the message stack will be displayed (and deleted after display from the stack) and so on and so forth.

In the last week I answered to three RFC/Ps asking for internal notification and message capabilities. A notification bar would solve their needs.

Either way, as it seems that people would like to keep notification and error bar seperate, I'll do so and add an attribute to enable notification bar (if we are ever going to implement this, the more we thought about it, the better the design gets, but the more work is involved....).