Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Questions on AD's restructuring.

Collapse
Posted by Talli Somekh on
I am personally worried about another fork in the OpenACS community between those that are for Tcl and those for Java. Right now, the community is small and programmer resources are scarce.

That being said, screw it. Here is an opportunity to have a system, whose real strength is the data model available, in two formats, a scripting language and a compiled language. If people perfer a nice little language that integrates beautifully with AOLserver, great! If people want to take advantage of large numbers of programmers, sysadmins familiar with Apache and buzzword compliancy (as a marketroid, this is big for me) then that's great too!

I don't want to be a curmudgeon, but c'mon guys, I don't see the problem. The OpenACS community has picked up the Tcl codebase and is running with it beautifully. aD dropped the ball by not finishing ACS4 Tcl and being kinda wishy washy about what they were doing, but they have made their current intentions very clear. They are going to be Open Source and implement some kind of DB abstraction. That's good.

So as far as the language wars are concerned, can we please start posting to these bboards in Spanish? I've had it with English. I want to spell things like I say them. No more "silent h's" and ph = f and "i before e except after c." I want to dance salsa and make guacamole. Dammit.