Forum OpenACS Development: Any .deb package for PostgreSQL 7.1?

Collapse
Posted by Edmund Lian on
Before I sully my Debian system by building PostgreSQL 7.1 from a tarball and breaking the Debian file placement rules if I am lazy/careless, I thought I should try to find a .deb package for it.

Woody contains a 7.0.3 package, and Oliver Elphick's site (the Debian maintainer for the PostgreSQL package) has a 7.1beta5 package.

Does anybody know where I might find a 7.1RC2 .deb? Alternately, is it OK to use the 7.1beta5 version?

Collapse
Posted by Roberto Mello on
If Elphick's site doesn't have it I doubt you'll find it anywhere else. I think it's kind of unfare that only RPMs are "officially" distributed by the PG Team. But then it might be because nobody every asked the PG team to have an official .deb package.

I don't think it'd be too hard to get the source deb package for 7.1 beta 5 and upgrade it to RC2, then rebuild the package.

Collapse
Posted by Edmund Lian on
Just in case other Debian users are interested... Oliver Elphink just (April 6, 2001) uploaded the PostgreSQL 7.1RC2 debs to the Debian incoming directory. While they are there, they are accessible at http://incoming.debian.org.
Collapse
Posted by Edmund Lian on
7.1RC3 debs, built for potato, are aptable at:

deb http://people.debian.org/~elphick/postgresql/pg7.1/potato/ ./
Note that there are a few minor problems that I've come across.
  1. The default security policy is to ask for passwords. But the postgres superuser is installed either with an unknown (to me) password, or one that is undefined. To get around this, you must change your /etc/postgresql/pg_hba.conf so that localhost has a default "trust" policy (from "password"). Then crank up psql and change the password of postgres to something you want, then change the localhost security policy back to "password" if you're paranoid.

2. pgaccess expects to find the file /usr/lib/postgresql/lib/libpgtcl.so, but the debs install it in /usr/lib/libpgtcl.so. Fix this with a symlink ln -s /usr/lib/libpgtcl.so /usr/lib/postgresql/lib/libpgtcl.so