Forum OpenACS Q&A: Custom email - newbie question

Collapse
Posted by Vel Pillai on
Hello Forum, I am new to OpenACS. I am trying to customize the content of the emails it sends when some one forgets their password. Which file do i need to modify to perform the customization. Any help is highly appreciated Thanks, Vel
Collapse
Posted by Luigi Martini on
I am totally unexpert but, as nobody posted the right answer yet, I try and help. Your OpenACS install should be somewhere inside you disk. Also, there should be some command in your system which performs a search for a given expression and tells you the location of such an expression. Such Linux commands have strange names to me, I do not know which one is to be used, but some command of the kind should exist. Also, I guess, you know the text you want to change.
Would it be useful to try a search for some particular string of text within the whole OpenAcs install?
Maybe.
Collapse
Posted by Luigi Martini on
Try
grep -rH some_text_you_don't_like OpenACS_directory
This would be the very first time I use grep in my life, which means: a) I really would like to help, although I do not have much experience; b) hopefully somebody will correct me, should I be wrong 😉
Collapse
Posted by Brad Duell on
Well, using acs-lang in OpenACS, the catalog for messages that goes out is in /packages/acs-subsite/catalog/acs-subsite.en_US.ISO-8859-1.xml and are called by auth::password:: procedures in /packages/acs-authentication/tcl/password-procs.tcl
Collapse
Posted by Vel Pillai on
Luigi and Brad, Thanks for the response. I located the packages/acs-subsite/catalog/acs-subsite.en_US.ISO-8859-1.xml and /packages/acs-authentication/tcl/password-procs.tcl and modified the email content (site name, greeting etc). Then i restarted the aolserver and tested the email content. no effect was noticed. How to go about this further? Thanks in advance Vel
Collapse
Posted by Brad Duell on
If the values are already loaded (which happens when the package is installed) then you have to change the values via acs-lang (most likely mounted at /acs-lang/admin/) thru your browser.

For example.  Going to:
/acs-lang/admin/edit-localized-message?package%5fkey=acs-subsite&locale=en_US&message%5fkey=email_body_Forgotten_password

Will allow you to edit the English message for email_body_Forgotten_password for acs-subsite

Either that, or I believe clicking on "Import all messages" from /acs-lang/admin/ will re-load your catalogs from file.

Collapse
Posted by Vel Pillai on
I didnt try the second solution. But the first one worked!!!!
Thanks Brad :) I dont think it is a bad idea to create links for email customization from the admin pages.
Vel
Collapse
Posted by Thomas Rathjen on
Vel,
if you have modified the text direct in the xml file, you must upload the modified xml file in the database.
Or you modify the text at the admin page of the lanquage modul.

Thomas