Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Best OS for OpenACS - FreeBSD or Linux?

Collapse
Posted by guido van driel on

flame fest at 9.

Seriously, I run OpenACS on FreeBSD and sometime this weekend i'll be adding an OpenBSD box to the mix. I expect to find just as little problems doing that as i've found installing OpenACS on FreeBSD.

here's a little howto:

• Install FreeBSD (I assume you know how to do this, excelent information on this subject is all over the internet).
  • create a user for running openacs.
  • install aolserver, qmail, and postgresql from the ports (if you are installing over FTP you will have the latest ports otherwise get the individuhal ports from freshports.org)
  • cd /usr/ports/mail/qmail ; make install ; make disable-sendmail ; make enable-qmail.
  • cd /usr/ports/databases/postgresql ; make install
  • cd /usr/ports/web/aolserver ; make install
  • add kern.maxfiles=4096 to /etc/rc.sysctl

as the newly created openacs user:: get the source through cvs from cvs.pg-acs.sourceforge.net.

now follow the documentation.

That is (admitted in a nutshell) what I had to do to get FreeBSD prepared to run OpenACS.
see, that wasn't hard :-p)

What it comes down to IMNHO is wheter or not you consider yourself to be a *NIX hacker (as opposed to cracker) or a competent system administrator, if you are a hacker go with Debian GNU/linux. Are you a system administrator that depends on a consistent and stable system run with the *BSD crowd.