Forum .LRN Q&A: Flash(Macromedia) questionnaires interoperability

Hi everybody,

the title says it all.
basically we managed to upload some learning objects already developed in macromedia flash for some ECDL courses (ECDL is the European Computer Driving Licence ;) ) that we should serve (in a migration from LearningSpace) on a pilot project during the next month.

The newest development we would like to try out is to keep the users within the flash interface for the tests, so we are looking  into any kind of interoperability from flash to .dotlrn.

Seemingly using the "survey" package should do with our needs, but we have no idea as to how we could track users' answers (and activities) from within flash.

Has anyone had similar problems ? How did you solve them ? Is there any way not to reinvent the wheel ?

Thanks for any reply :)

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
The short answer: Create a survey with all the questions. Let the flash application run the whole test environment. When done, have the flash application upload the result (aka. answers) via the /survey/respond functionality.

Other than that, whatever you do is not reinventing the wheel. You might want to stick with IMS QTI specifications for importing the answer into the survey system and "just" write an import script that takes the IMS QTI compliant answer description from the flash and stores this in the survey_responses table. Talk to Eduardo and Alvaro from E-Lane in Madrid, they might give you some more hints on this.

Collapse
Posted by Nima Mazloumi on
Also talk to Ernie. He has implemented the LORS package which tracks users as well. From my understanding Flash supports SCORM. So Flash in combination with the SCORM Runtime Environment could be the solution.

Greetings,
Nima

What Malte says seems the best. At e-lane we are developing most of the ICDL courses (and will be freely available), scorm compliant and ready to use with LORS. The flash option for SCORM seems really interesting for some purpouses. All the student behaivor is tracked with LORS AFAIK. The development of the assessment package is starting now, mainly done @ UC3M (madrid), Galileo will provide also another developer to make this come out ASAP.
Hi, >Malte Sussdorff on Jun 15 2004 14:44:20
>The short answer: Create a survey with all the questions.
>Let the flash application run the whole test environment.
>When done, have the flash application upload the result
>(aka. answers) via the /survey/respond functionality.

Thank you for the suggestion, that's actually what we have almost completed right now. We had to build a simplified version of "respond" in order to send the "new-response-id" parameter in application/x-www-url-formencoded format to flash. (that's actually the format flash requires for its http "loadvars" functions to work).
As far as QTI is concerned, i'll be looking for it in the assessment package (is there to be ?). At the moment our flash packages weren't built according to any standard ;).

>Nima Mazloumi on Jun 15 2004 15:06:03
>
>Also talk to Ernie. He has implemented the LORS package
>which tracks users as well. From my understanding Flash
>supports SCORM. So Flash in combination with the SCORM
>Runtime Environment could be the solution.

Actually it seems to me that flash can support SCORM Runtime environment as an "extension", and should be able to query/update the SCORM data model on the server. However LORS seems not to implement the SCORM runtime (so far).

>Rocael Hernandez on Jun 15 2004 17:20:04
>
>What Malte says seems the best. At e-lane we are developing
>most of the ICDL courses (and will be freely available),
>scorm compliant and ready to use with LORS. The flash
>option for SCORM seems really interesting for some
>purpouses. All the student behaivor is tracked with LORS
>AFAIK. The development of the assessment package is
>starting now, mainly done @ UC3M (madrid), Galileo will
>provide also another developer to make this come out ASAP.

This seems quite interesting for the near future. Actually the fact is that SCORM runtime API should allow flash (or whatever SCO) - correct me if i am wrong - to submit results and and answers and basically whatever else can fit into the SCORM CMI Data model.

Michele
PS: it took me quite a while to answer, because i wouldn't be allowed (Request Error - The server has encountered an int......)to see this thread when logged in as myself (!!!) (is this known bug?)
Hi, >Malte Sussdorff on Jun 15 2004 14:44:20
>The short answer: Create a survey with all the questions.
>Let the flash application run the whole test environment.
>When done, have the flash application upload the result
>(aka. answers) via the /survey/respond functionality.

Thank you for the suggestion, that's actually what we have almost completed right now. We had to build a simplified version of "respond" in order to send the "new-response-id" parameter in application/x-www-url-formencoded format to flash. (that's actually the format flash requires for its http "loadvars" functions to work).
As far as QTI is concerned, i'll be looking for it in the assessment package (is there to be ?). At the moment our flash packages weren't built according to any standard ;).

>Nima Mazloumi on Jun 15 2004 15:06:03
>
>Also talk to Ernie. He has implemented the LORS package
>which tracks users as well. From my understanding Flash
>supports SCORM. So Flash in combination with the SCORM
>Runtime Environment could be the solution.

Actually it seems to me that flash can support SCORM Runtime environment as an "extension", and should be able to query/update the SCORM data model on the server. However LORS seems not to implement the SCORM runtime (so far).

>Rocael Hernandez on Jun 15 2004 17:20:04
>
>What Malte says seems the best. At e-lane we are developing
>most of the ICDL courses (and will be freely available),
>scorm compliant and ready to use with LORS. The flash
>option for SCORM seems really interesting for some
>purpouses. All the student behaivor is tracked with LORS
>AFAIK. The development of the assessment package is
>starting now, mainly done @ UC3M (madrid), Galileo will
>provide also another developer to make this come out ASAP.

This seems quite interesting for the near future. Actually the fact is that SCORM runtime API should allow flash (or whatever SCO) - correct me if i am wrong - to submit results and and answers and basically whatever else can fit into the SCORM CMI Data model.

Michele
PS: it took me quite a while to answer, because i wouldn't be allowed (Request Error - The server has encountered an int......)to see this thread when logged in as myself (!!!) (is this known bug?) (actually i can't even post, i will create now a new thread (!!!))
Collapse
Posted by Alvaro Rayon on
Hi Michele,

We have develped an IMS QTI parser for the assessment package. It's in early stage but functional for parsing IMS QTI compliant items/questions. You can take a look at it in the CVS (openacs-4/packages/assessment/)

Collapse
Posted by Eduardo Pérez on
Why do you want to lock people into using flash for tests?
Is that a closed environment?

Is (will) the ICDL material you are developing going to be available under an open license?
We are asking because at the E-LANE project we are also developing ECDL material that will be open.

Anyway, as Alvaro said, you may want to look at the QTI parser we are developing for the assessment package.

Collapse
Posted by E Lana on
Hi! I have searched with Google and found your answer. I have to create a survey (50-60 questions). I am not sure I can do it with Flash. the "/survey/respond functionality" is a Flash functionality? Can I upload all the answers in one step, or have I to upload each answer one by one?
Thank you very much and sorry for wasting your time!

Emanuele