Forum OpenACS Q&A: Update on my use of Webmail

Collapse
Posted by Bob Fuller on
Thanks for the continued postings. It may be useful for others in the community to hear about what I've had to do in order to make use of the Webmail module, because it's been a huge ordeal, frankly.

I never did get Webmail working under either SuSE 7.0 or RedHat 7.0! Finally I ended up throwing up my hands in frustration and I've been spending a bit of time the last few weeks "retrofitting" all of my existing Open ACS installations (spread over two desktops and one laptop) with RedHat 6.2, which has finally given me a glimpse of the light at the end of the tunnel.

There are obviously problems with some of the newer versions of the shared libraries, when it comes to compiling nsjava (and also getting it to work!) on versions of Linux beyond whatever version of the kernel RedHat 6.2 employs. As has been suggested in this forum, the problems are mostly related to pthreads, I believe.

I wish I knew enough about this area in order to be able to be of service in getting nsjava to work on post-RedHat 6.2 OS's, but I don't, and it just comes down to having more important things that I have to accomplish in my various Open ACS-related projects. Webmail is a very nice-to-have feature in this community system -- perhaps it's even crucial to be able to offer it in any online community system worth its salt -- but when all is said and done, if it works under RedHat 6.2 (and it does) then I'll do what's required to reinstall the OS so that I can get to more interesting parts of my projects. (Not to say that it's not interesting -- or not useful -- to get Webmail working under many different configurations ... but it's just not my area of expertise, and I can only beat my head against that wall for so long before I choose a proven method for getting the job done.)

Anyway, I've got one laptop and one desktop done, and just one desktop left to go, so I'm nearly done with this phase of the adventure.

Suffice it to say, for anyone who's considering making use of Webmail, it does work on RedHat 6.2, and probably works under a few other configurations. If you need to use Webmail under Linux, you'll probably save yourself much frustration if you simply install RedHat 6.2 from the getgo.