Forum .LRN Q&A: Re: Description of new dotLRN integration project

Collapse
Posted by Rafael Calvo on
DeeDee

Surath has the code and some preliminary documentation at:
http://www.weg.ee.usyd.edu.au/people/surath/

The project will build an "teaching design centric" application that makes the process of designing and managing a course, more efficient and more effective.  The system will improve unit management, facilitate collaborative unit design, build knowledge repositories of teaching strategies, automate what are now paper based administration tasks, and facilitate better communication between academics and tutors.
The project will produce software and documentation for a Knowledge Management system specifically designed for academic use. The main goals are to:
- Assist communication between academics and other teaching staff (i.e. tutors)
- Reduce administrative workload for teaching staff by increasing process efficiency
- Maintain a Unit of Study “history” that can form part of an institutional knowledge repository of teaching strategies used in each field of knowledge
- Elicit and document common administration tasks in the design and running of a Unit of Study and implement web based functionalities that automate these and improve the quality of their outcomes.
- Build the system in a way that can be easily customised for use by other institutions in Australia and worldwide.

Note that the project does not include any processing of students' data (i.e grades).

we have noticed that many institutions are already too commited to another LMS (i.e webct or blackboard) but would be interested in using the .LRN collaboration functionalities), so "dotTEACH" will be implemented assuming that the institution might be using an LMS different from .LRN (as is the ccase in Univ. Sydney).

We have applied for a grant that will allow us to build a full prototype and run a pilot in my Faculty.

I will try to write more documentation but I'm about to go overseas....

cheers

Rafael