Forum OpenACS Q&A: OACS CASE: a CASE tool for openacs

Collapse
Posted by Rafael Calvo on
Hi
I would like to announce a new project at WEG (Univ. Sydney). We are working in a CASE tool for openacs: do a UML design and the system generates the oacs code for it.
The system is based on ArgoUML a great -pure Java- GPL'd modelling tool. At this stage you can do a simple class diagram and the program will create the openacs data model (create and drop files). Instead of taking the notes package and then changing the code by hand (as I used to do) you can start with a full datamodel implemented in 5 minutes.
A first prototype was developed by Michael Wu and is available at: http://www.weg.ee.usyd.edu.au/people/laetitia/
Laetitia Duby will be following on his work for the next 6 months and we would appreciate the community's input. What she is planning to do is to add a hypertext model (a super plain /www directory in openacs) to the tool. In a first stage it would be the creating of widgets for each of the classes in the class diagram. The specs are not fully defined so I would appreciaate if people plays with what we have, and provide some feedback.
cheers
Rafael
Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
This is very interesting. I think for me, the probability that I will use it will increase dramatically if a tutorial is available showing how to use it. It seems very intriguing!
Collapse
Posted by Walter Smith on
The download links seems to be broken.  I would love to check it out.
Collapse
Posted by Laetitia Duby on
The manual gives some explanations of the basic use of the plugin. But I'm going to publish a more complete tutorial in the next days.

Laetitia

Collapse
Posted by Laetitia Duby on
The links have been fixed now.
Thank you for your interest,

Laetitia

Collapse
Posted by Nagita Karunaratne on
Hello,

This is partially related to the topic but not quite. I'm trying to develop my formal design skills and have only found example case studies.

I would like to know how the different methods work in actual use.

So has anyone in the Web Engineering Group (or elsewhere) done any industrial design of a OACS application using any of the OO techniques (ie. OOHDM, HDM, RMM, UML etc) and can you provide a link to the case study?

Thanks