Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Planning for OpenACS 5.1.1

Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
Torben, I also wouldn't use openacs-4 as your checkout module, unless you really do want everything.

The upgrade docs are pretty good about this now. But I also look forward to Joel's answer.

Collapse
Posted by Joel Aufrecht on
Two items are currently blocking OpenACS 5.1.1. First, acs-content-repository is already at 5.1.2. This is not supposed to happen, because acs-core is supposed to be released monolithically. One solution would be to bump everything else in core up to 5.1.2 and skip 5.1.1. The other solution is to move acs-content-repository back to 5.1.1 and change the one relevant upgrade file from upgrade-5.1.1-5.1.2.sql to upgrade-5.1.1d2-5.1.1d3.sql. Anybody have a problem with this? I think it means that people who are keeping current with oacs-5-1 will end up running this script twice, but it's a create-or-replace so that shouldn't be a problem.

The second thing is that I ran into a problem testing upgrade, which I have filed as bug 1951. It can be worked around by restarting the server, if necessary.

Collapse
Posted by Joel Aufrecht on
Torben:

"To reduce ambiguity..

cvs -z3 -d :pserver:mailto:anonymous@openacs.org:/cvsroot co -r oacs-5-1 openacs-4

pulls the versions you refer to?"

Yes.  If you are developing, you must work from a branch checkout, not a tag.  So you should be working from oacs-5-1 because, since it is a release branch for core, shouldn't be broken (much).  If there is a blocking bug in core, you can simply pin the core modules to the last release (with cvs up -r openacs-5-1-0-final acs-kernel etc, for example).

The point about the OpenACS 5.1.1 tag applying across all packages is only meaningful for developers who are forking from OpenACS.  For the last year or two, there hasn't been a single tag that applies across all OpenACS packages.  This kind of tag is useful for 1) getting freestanding sites into source control and 2) making patches for your forked system.  We had a tag for core, and a tag for .lrn, but no tag for standard packages which are required for .lrn but not in core, or for any non-core, not-.lrn packages.  The OpenACS 5.1.1 tag will be applied to the most recent released version of everything on the oacs-5-1 branch (ie, I'll release 5.1.1 core, tag it oacs-5-1-compat, then check out oacs-5-1-compat, and then tag everything openacs-5-1-1-final).  The point of jumping through the compat hoop, instead of just tagging the HEAD of oacs-5-1 as openacs-5-1-1-final, is that anybody who gets this tag or a tarball from it will be getting only released packages, not in-development packages.