Forum .LRN Q&A: Re: Learning from Moodle and good UI design

Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
<rant>I think we should all read 'the lunatics are running the asylum'.

I haven't looked at Moodle, but it sounds like it has a well-thought out design. We really have to focus on creating quality designs for what people most commonly want to do, and making the computer do the hard stuff. Unfortunately, the needs of the program design and the user design often are at odds, and it takes very careful and creative design to resolve the conflict.

We do have a great architecture, but that doesn't mean anything unless we take advantage of it with a great UI. We're getting better, but really that has to be our primary focus instead of a secondary one.

My grad school advisor used to put it this way: 'It doesn't matter if you have the functionality to do this or that in your program. What matters is if the user can find it before they get too frustrated and give up trying to find it.' I would add thta the user gets frustrated very quickly.
</rant>
We're moving in that direction, though.

By the way, a good example of a web-based UI, IMO, is www.evite.com
It's very well done.

Collapse
Posted by Jarkko Laine on
Jade,

You mean this? You're right. We should read it. Again and again.

I couldn't agree more with your rant. To the user the UI is the application. He doesn't give a damn if the engine behind search results is using bitmap indeces or trained monkeys, as long as everything works as he expects, and reasonably fast. This is too often forgotten.

Another good example of terrific UI design is the new Blogger.com design. The UI is very slick and rat simple, and still they have even the context sensitive help right in the forms.

I agree that we're moving to the right direction but I think this is an issue that can't be stressed enough. I'm all in favor of Bruce's idea about creating a top-down process for package developing, starting from the functionality seen by the user. Current approach seems to me a bit too data-centric (i.e. bottom-up) to pay enough attention to really great interaction design. The deepness and powerfulness must not be an excuse for an overly complex UI.