Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Postgres7.1 Redhat RPM and installation instructions

Ok, I understand what's going on but am not sure how best to proceed. In following the RPM install doc

rpm -ivh postgresql-7.1-1.i386.rpm
had a dependency that required the library package (this isn't one of the packages listed in the doc). I downloaded postgresql-libs-7.1-1.i386.rpm and used the command

rpm -ivh postgresql-libs-7.1-1.i386.rpm
to install it and proceeded with the instructions. Everything appeared to be OK - I could start postgres, create a db, load-geo-tables - until I get to the load the data model section.

Since I installed from an RPM, I have to edit the postgres.sql file to remove the comments:

--create function plpgsql_call_handler() RETURNS opaque
    --as '/usr/lib/pgsql/plpgsql.so' language 'c';

The first thing that I notice is that the plpgsql.so library file installed via the RPM is NOT in the pgsql subdirectory. It has been installed (together with the other library files) in the /usr/lib directory.

Changing the postgres.sql line above to exclude the pgsql subdirectory

as '/usr/lib/plpgsql.so' language 'c';

doesn't solve the problem as I expect there are other dependencies on the libraries being in the usr/lib/pgsql subdirectory.

I'm a Linux novice and not sure how to proceed. How do I get the library files in the /usr/lib/pgsql directory via the RPM command. Do I have to uninstall all of the Postgres RPM packages and start again or is there a way to move the postgresql-libs-7.1-1.i386.rpm library package into the pgsql directory?