Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Does OpenACS 3.x really require libpgtcl.so?

Don wrote:
I've not installed the 7.1 RPMs, but when building from sources "--with-tcl" also tries to build TK, and on two of my systems something required by TK (wish?) didn't exist. So I've needed to build "--with-tcl --without-tk". Do the distributed 7.1 RPMs give you that level of granularity?

I'm not too concerned about requirements to rebuild PG 7.1 RPMs from SRPMs, since that is Lamar's job anyway 😊 The postgresql-tcl binary RPM adds exactly six files to your machine:

• /usr/bin/pgtclsh
  • /usr/lib/libpgtcl.so
  • /usr/lib/libpgtcl.so.2
  • /usr/lib/libpgtcl.so.2.1
  • /usr/lib/pltcl.so
  • /usr/man/man1/pgtclsh.1.gz

and two of those are symlinks. So that seems sufficiently granular. I saw the requires statement in the earlier RPMs, but then found that OpenACS 3.2.4 'worked' for me without postgresql-tcl installed. So I was confused about what was going on there.

I think bboard searching is off by default, so the question becomes whether we need to force RPM users to install postgres-tcl just to satisfy a dependency they may never actually need, or document this so that they know that this option requires libpgtcl.so? Maybe leave it out of the requirements but ensure there is a clear comment in the config file where one would turn on bboard searches about this?

I should try it for myself... but how clear are the error messages when you try to enable bboard searches and the utility concerned can't find libpgtcl.so ?