Forum OpenACS Q&A: PostegreSQL tips
Posted by Roberto Mello on 04/29/01 12:50 AM
Since folks in this community have an interest in PostgreSQL, I thout I should post some tips and tricks I've found out by subscribing to the pgsql-hackers and pgsql-sql lists (gotta love procmail):
- http://techdocs.postgresql.org has many nice documents with tips and tricks (including JDBC, ODBC, replication, etc.)
- http://fts.postgresql.org is the new and much improved search engine for the PostgreSQL mailing lists. This one actually works. It hasn't been announced anywhere but the list.
- http://postgresql.readysetnet.com/related.html has some interesting projects and documents written by several PG users, including how to install PostgreSQL on Windows 2000.
- http://www.brasileiro.net/postgres is the PostgreSQL CookBook project where users can post their functions for others to see. Go post yours and/or see what others have posted. You may find something you wanted.
- http://fts.postgresql.org/db/mw/msg.html?mid=114535 - this thread (which hasn't gotten a reply from anyone in the PG team yet, so I don't know if it's safe or not) tells about some big performance gains by flipping a WAL switch in PG 7.1
- http://fts.postgresql.org/db/mw/msg.html?mid=114525 - this thread is about a patch to PL/pgSQL that would allow it to have %TYPE in parameters and return types, making ACS 4.x porting *much* easier. If you are on the list, please reply to the thread and ask that it be included in 7.1.1 (to be released tuesday) or else it'll only be released in 7.2, which is months away.
Hope this helps. One nice thing: as I was getting the URLs for these threads I saw a big banner ad that said "AOLserver & OpenACS. Now available at hub.org" with both AOLserver and OpenACS' cool Alex-based logo ;)
2: Response to PostegreSQL tips (response to 1)
Posted by Don Baccus on 04/29/01 02:55 AM
The fast search is, I believe, the in-database search facility built by some Russians who run a PG-backed portal site in Russia. I mentioned this develop effort in a thread relating to implementing new search functionality for OpenACS 4.x.
Neophytos Demetriou has already agreed to investigate this further for our use when he has time available, starting June 7th.
3: Response to PostegreSQL tips (response to 1)
Posted by Don Baccus on 04/29/01 02:56 AM
Oh ... we only discussed this via e-mail a few hours ago, I was planning to mention it on my next status update...
4: Response to PostegreSQL tips (response to 1)
Posted by Jonathan Marsden on 04/29/01 03:51 PM
Good info Roberto!
So, should I patch this URL list into the "Some useful Links" subsection of the OpenACS Install Guide?
5: Response to PostegreSQL tips (response to 1)
Posted by Roberto Mello on 04/29/01 04:24 PM
Re: including these links in the install guide: sure, except for probably the last link.
6: Response to PostegreSQL tips (response to 1)
Posted by Jonathan Marsden on 04/29/01 11:44 PM
Done, patch#9 in the SDM has my previous patches plus these URLs (plus a case correction of Postgresql to PostgreSQL).