Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Server Performance Benchmarks with Apache Benchmark and Traffic Jamme

Hi James,

My main development machine is similar to your but weaker, and I can usually get between 30 and 200 pages per second with the tools I've been using (hand written and similar to Traffic Jamme.)

I see several questions raised by your post, but I am not sure which you are getting at.

AOLserver vs. Apache performance?  If so, measure without the nsunix module in the way.  Run Apachebench against the virtual server itself (have the virtual server implement nssock and give it a non port 80 port.)

nsunix performance?  I've long been saying that I haven't seen the performance gains I would have thought should have been there when comparing nsvhr/nssock to nshvr/nsunix.  But as I've said, I've usually done much better than what you're reporting.

Note too: you're testing adp pages with db queries.  Get rid of the db queries and test again.  Until you are benchmarking only apples, I am not sure what to make of your measurements....

Make sure all your setups are serving the same sized pages that use the similar (if not the same) underlying technology.

I am not sure about OpenACS, I have found that various ACS filters can quite dramatically slow down a site.  Is that what you're getting at?

Uh, would you clarify your question?