Forum OpenACS Q&A: Infoworld: Petreley mentions OpenACS

Collapse
Posted by Bob OConnor on

Nicholas Petreley writes The Open Source column in Infoworld. This week's column (Apr 30,'01) is titled:

Running the gamut of Web publishing systems, application languages, and tools

Here is the relevant part:

The other alternatives readers mentioned include ArsDigita (www.arsdigita.com) and the OpenACS Open ArsDigita Community System for Web publishing (openacs.org). Both of these are based on the TCL scripting language, although ArsDigita also uses Java. Both are based on the America Online Web server (www.aolserver.com). By the way, the AOL Web server is a truly nifty and vastly under-rated open-source Web server. I'm surprised it doesn't get more attention from the open- source community.

Anyway, ArsDigita uses Oracle for its database. OpenACS uses the open-source database PostgreSQL. I'm having a terrible time getting OpenACS running. I recommend the Getting Started tutorial article at the Developer Shed (www.devshed.com/Server_Side/PostgreSQL/OpenACS). The article omits a lot of information for anyone using a Linux distribution other than the author's, but it's still the best bet I know of for getting OpenACS to work.

-Bob

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Ben's e-mailed the author to ask what he found so difficult about installation...I view comments like this as being an opportunity to get feedback on how we can improve our docs.
Collapse
Posted by Ben Adida on
Indeed, this is a good way to get feedback. The biggest issue is
that Mr. Petreley used the Debian packages, which are out of
date AFAIK. Obviously still our fault, but at least it's easier to
understand why it was hard for him to install OpenACS.
Collapse
Posted by Roberto Mello on
Speaking of Debian package... yes, the OpenACS package in Debian is ancient. Has anyone seen Brent Fulgham? I think it'd be pretty easy to upgrade them.
Collapse
Posted by Jonathan Marsden on
I'll probably email him about trying my OpenACS 3.2.5 RPMs, once they
are tested a bitmore, and uploaded to openacs.org 😊