Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Gush: vservers as development/production environment

James, read up a bit on both Vservers and User Mode Linux, the differences should quickly become clear. Usually, it should pretty much boil down to:

If each user needs his own different Linux kernel (e.g., for kernel testing), you need UML. If not, use Vservers instead. UML will incur a much larger performance hit.

As Xen demonstrates, it's entirely possibly to run a fully virtualized Linux (or Windows for that matter), kernel and all, with very little performance loss vs. running on the bare metal. But that's really not what UML is intended for.

If you're interested in this sort of stuff, check out the many links on John Sequeira's Virtualization Wiki.

Collapse
Posted by James O'Kane on
I've done some experimentation with UML already. It seemed a bit too fragile to work with. I've also used VMWare for years for various other projects. vserver is something new to me.

I'll do the google thing shortly. I was just asking around to see if anyone had any personal experience or pointers. From what I've read and heard so far, vserver seems better suited for my purposes.