Forum OpenACS Q&A: Very Draft Press Release for 3.2.5

Well, noone else wrote one, so here is my attempt.

Corrections/suggestions/total rewrites welcomed.

The OpenACS community announces OpenACS 3.2.5

01 May 2001

The OpenACS community is happy to announce the release of OpenACS 3.2.5 today.

OpenACS is a full-featured free and open source toolkit for creating "Web services with a collaborative dimension". It is based on the ArsDigita Community System (ACS) which uses Oracle as its database. OpenACS uses the free open source database PostgreSQL instead.

In addition to a large number of bug fixes, including some important security-related fixes, the 3.2.5 release adds support for the current release of PostgreSQL (release 7.1), which provides increased performance and removes limits to the system as a whole. Compatibility with PostgreSQL 7.0.3 has been retained.

The manager for this Release was Roberto Mello <rmello@cc.usu.edu>. The original authors of OpenACS are Don Baccus and Ben Adida. It is maintained as a community project.

For more information, or to ask questions of those using and developing OpenACS, or to download the software itself, visit the OpenACS community online at http://www.openacs.org

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
That's fine, but in reality it wasn't just Ben and I who worked on OpenACS originally, Dan Wickstrom was an early hacker and did a lot of  work, and others pitched in to a lesser extent.

More accurate would be to list Ben and I as co-leaders of the project,  but in reality just mentioning Roberto as the manager for the release would be fine with me.

Overall, this is a fine little press release!

Collapse
Posted by Jonathan Marsden on
Thanks. OK, revising that paragraph to:
The manager for this Release was Roberto Mello <rmello@cc.usu.edu>. OpenACS is maintained as a community project, led by Ben Adida and Don Baccus.

is this then ready for me to email out to a bunch of places? Or would someone else like to do that (I'm really not a PR/marketing person at all!).

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
You are now, buddy! :)

You need to learn the first rule of volunteer organizations - if you volunteer for a job, you are stuck until you recruit your replacement!

(I served for 15 years on the board of a non-profit with 8,000 members, and found myself stuck for many years with many jobs smarter people avoided volunteering for).

However, we'll let you off the hook this time.  Is anyone willing to put together a list of publications to e-mail this to?  Anyone out there have experience doing this kinda stuff?

Collapse
5: OK, it has gone out :-) (response to 1)
Posted by Jonathan Marsden on
I did it... sent to Linux Gazette, Linux Weekly News, LinuxPR.com (for
LinuxToday), SlashDot (!), GreatBridge.com.

Ben needs to update info at Freshmeat and SourceForge, I can't do it
because he 'owns' OpenACS at those sites.

Tried to add OpenACS to linuxapps.com too, but had weird problems with
their submit form (using Mozilla, need to try Netscape 4.77 I suppose).

And no, just because I was enthusiastic enough to do it this time does
*not* mean I guarantee to do it next time 😊