Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Suggested Linux configuration?

Collapse
Posted by mark dalrymple on
I'll take any opprtunity to spout off 😊

If performance were job#1 and money were no object, performance wise you'd put your executables, database datafiles, server page root on seperate hard drives with seperate controllers to interleave I/O. If yo're just doing a single drive, any performance gains will be minimal due to partitioning. So then the question comes 'will a scheme help in my administration'? I can't think of much reason off the top of my head where putting the postgres stuff in one partition, plus aolserver / ACS on another partion will win you much. Granted, if someone fills up the ACS partition, it won't hose your database

Probably a lot will depend on your goals. If you're going to be hosting a group of relative strangers (say you're selling ACS hosting services), then putting each client on a partition could make sense to keep them from expanding outside of their given space. (there's probably disk quota stuff that'll do this for you as well, allowing you to change quitas on the fly you can't do with partitioning).

As you can prolly tell, I'm not a fan of a bunch of partitions. I've been bitten more often by poorly planned partitioning than I have had with something running amok and filling up an entire drive. Especially if you put transient or stuff likely to fill up an entire drive on its own partition to limit such behavior.