Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Ecommerce experience

Collapse
3: Re: Ecommerce experience (response to 1)
Posted by James Thornton on
I have been working on something that I have dubbed EC2. It's an ecommerce package for OpenACS 5.x, but it's not a application that you can use out-of-the-box. It's more of a service than an application. It's made up of a data model, stored procedures, and a Tcl API, but it has been designed so that you can build custom ecommerce applications that hook into it.

For example, there is a table ec2_product that stores all the generic product attributes required for ecommerce. To use it, a developer would create object types that are subtypes of the ec2_product type. The developer would create the front-end application pages, and they would get all of the backend stuff for free. I am going to try to find time to develop a generic ecommerce package that hooks into EC2 and emulates the features of the current ecommerce package as an example for how to use it.

EC2 is not finished, and what I have now has been designed for Postgres (no Oracle stuff yet). I am working on a site that will use it, I'm releasing the site in a few weeks (I hope), and I'm planning on releasing a preliminary version of EC2 then.