Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Oasis: OpenACS & .LRN VM new version

Collapse
Posted by xx xx on
Andrew, I'm not sure. I deleted the installation, but I remember "kernelversion" reported 2.2

John, I tested the download just to see if I could recommend it to newbies. The main problem I ran into was an inconsistency with the VM disk. This maybe due to a corrupted download but more likely to a VMware installation problem.

Please include a README.txt in the download. It should be crystal clear to newbies what steps to take, especially since debian is not a standard OS that VMware offers during configuration. Also, I would recommend using NAT. Bridged networking is nice and clear, but not when you try to make it work on a laptop with windows (or if you don't have a network card). Some network functions will be brought down if no cable is connected to the network card. I couldn't get bridge networking to work stable on my laptop even with some tweaking of the registry and new drivers. Thanks.

Collapse
Posted by John Sequeira on
Aldert,

Thanks for the feedback.  I remember having problems with tgz files with the 4.5 version,  which is one reason I switched to zip (better for Windows evaluators,  less chance browser will get confused.)

I find that for my laptop,  using both a host-only (or NAT) _and_ a bridged adapter in the VM to be a good way to go.  That way if you make sure your web/db servers are bound to all IP addresses,  your dev environment will still function.

I'll try to update the download in a few days to reflect your comments.

Thanks again