Forum OpenACS Q&A: PostgreSQL driver version numbering--huh?

Uh, I must have missed the discussion about the PostgreSQL driver's version numbering...

The version that is labeled 1.1.0 on the download page has a postgres.c header of "/cvsroot/acs-pg/driver-2.3/postgres.c,v 1.20 2000/06/29 20:12:10 danw"

The version on sourceforge is in a folder labeled driver- 2.3, but is now at revision 1.3. The header in this postgres.c says "/cvsroot/acs-pg/driver-2.3/postgres.c,v 1.30 2001/04/16 00:05:05 dhogaza"

So, what version/revision number are we officially at for the driver, and where is the most current version? It would appear that the version on sourceforge.net and not OpenACS.org is the most current (v1.3). Shouldn't the driver on OpenACS.org be at least fresher than the 2000/06/29 implied in the header (or is it wrong)?

And why the CVS module name "driver-2.3"? It's all a bit confusing...

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Oops, I've been meaning to update the version at openacs.org and just haven't gotten around to it.  The one on sourceforge is the latest.

I'm in a bit of a quandry - the driver logically belongs at opennsd.org, but we don't have things set up there yet because we decided to take the latest AOLserver release and add ad13 when Rob Mayoff gets done.  Since aD is no longer paying him for AOLserver work, Rob can only do this in his spare time but it's worth waiting for, as among other things it will include Henry's internationalization patches and bug fixes not caught by AOL.

The "2.3" refers to (gulp) the version of AOLserver that was current when I first hacked on it.  I've been thinking of renumbering it to 3.3 and ripping out any vestigal support for 2.3 that might be in there - once OpenNSD gets set up.

I may just set a CVS tree up at openacs.org for the time being.  Or something.  Sorry for the mess...

(No, I'm not back in Portland and I don't have any e-mail access. I'm in a public library waiting for the mid-day harsh light to go away so I can get back out and do some more shooting.  I'll be back in PDX tomorrow...)

Collapse
Posted by Edmund Lian on
If it helps, I can export a fresh version of the driver and upload it to the file-storage area... it's a trivial task, but one less thing you should put on your plate. Let me know if you want me to do this.
Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
File storage isn't really a good place for code, I only put the query extractor there because in its hacked form I didn't feel like blessing  it with CVS status (hacked-by-me form, to be clear).

I'll look into getting the latest version on the download page in a couple of days.  I don't expect the driver to change again for quite some time.