Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: RFI: Look and feel of OpenACS

Collapse
Posted by Matthew Geddert on
my vote is for xhtml and css usage. if the site was as tableless as possible (i know things like calendar would be hard/impossible to do this with), it would help a lot... you can do so much with just divs lists and paragraphs, which incidentally move over to handhelds/brail very well. now that many people are using list builder, ad_form, etc. these things are improving (since they all use the same css file and if you want to edit the look/feel it can be done in one place), . I think it would be good to have some site wide standards that can be used by any packaged, for example, the a href class=button works throughout the site, if we also had just as an example

<div class="package-nav">
<ul>
  <li><a href="">Page 1</a></li>
  <li><a href="">Page 2</a></li>
  <li><a href="">Page 3</a></li>
</ul>
</div>

available to all packages that use a top nav bar (logger, package manager, bug tracker, etc. come to mind). Then people could choose to have these links look however they want - it could event become a floating left nav pod if they wanted. From what i've seen openacs only has a few functionally different UI elements.

- lists (continued listbuilder integration will make editing it site wide easy)
- forms (this is already standardized for the most part)
- calendars (the css files in calendar would be a good place to standardize on these, as far as i can tell this and lists should be the only places on any site that use tables - i.e. navigation should use lists not tables)
- vertical lists of content - by this i mean things that listbuilder isn't good at, like forums, gc, etc.
- packaged based navigation (with my example above).

If we had a spec doc and a standardized way of dealing with these 5 UI elements (and any that i haven't thought of) i think that editing a handfull of css files would be pretty manageable for any project. I know that would make my life easier, since I've done just this all too many times in the past...