Forum .LRN Q&A: Packages-install.tcl: file does not exist.

Hi everyone,

I have installed DotLRN 2.0.3, Aolserver 4.0.7, Postgres 7.4.2 and i finished doing setting up the OpenACS data model. When i click on "NEXT" to scan for available packages, nothing happens. I checked my log and it says "Packages-install.tcl" file does not exist. Can anybody help?

From,
Joe

Collapse
Posted by xx xx on
I'm not sure, but I see it's your second post. Does package-install.tcl exist in your file system ("find /var/lib/aolserver -iname '*-install.tcl'" )? Are the permissions set right?
Collapse
Posted by Joe Shim on
Hi Aldert,

Thanks for the reply, i checked my system and i still can't find the file. My log reports this:

07/Sep/2004:11:18:28][3355.4126604208][-conn:openacs::1] Warning: tclfilter: install_handler return invalid result:
[07/Sep/2004:11:18:34][3355.4125547440][-conn:openacs::3] Error: Unable to source /home/admin1/aolserver4/servers/openacs/packages/acs-bootstrap-installer/installer/packages-install.tcl: file does not exist.

I have re-read all the documentation on this, but i can't seem to understand where i went wrong. The previous DotLRN releases 1.0.1 have the file located in their bootstrap/installer folder, but not the newer releases like 2.0.3.

Our department is looking into DotLRN, and i was assigned to set up a working DotLRN server for the management team to review. Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Joe

Collapse
Posted by xx xx on
Hi Joe,

I just installed the dotlrn-2.0.3 tarball and it works fine.

You aren't installing the tarball on top of something else are you? Start with an empty database and empty filesystem and untar the tarball. The tarball contains the kernel datamodel also. Installation should run all the way to complete installation of all packages after you have given your basic information (without having to click another "next").

Otherwise, there may be something wrong while executing "apm_source".
The installer is in ./packages/acs-bootstrap-installer/installer.tcl if you want to follow what is happening. packages_install.tcl should be in ./packages/acs-admin/www/apm/

Is your config file correct? Is the serverroot correct? Are the permissions correct?

Collapse
Posted by Joe Shim on
Hi Aldert,

I put the files and database on a fresh system, and it still does not work. However, i will retry a couple of times to see what went wrong.

For the "packages-install.tcl" the file seems different in the "packages/acs-admin/www/apm/" folder. I looked at the DotLRN 1.0.1 version, both the "packages-install.tcl" are different.

But Aldert, you said the installer is in the "/packages/acs-bootstrap-installer/installer.tcl"? so do i rename that file to be "/packages/acs-bootstrap-installer/packages-install.tcl"?

Is the "packages-install.tcl" file a generated one? by the DotLRN? I'm kinda lost here.

Sincerely,
Joe

Collapse
Posted by Joe Shim on
Hi Aldert,

Thanks for the response, i have *FINALLY* found where i got wrong, i should have "chmod 755 nsd-postgres". That should be highlighted to people.

The site is up, but when creating users, it says it can't e-mail the user, what module am i lacking and need to install?

Finally happy,
Joe

Collapse
Posted by xx xx on
Good!

You can ignore the 'email error' for now (unless you need to send email), although it will take longer to create users, because it waits until a timeout occurs.

Or search this site for 'sendmail' and you will probably find your answer.