Forum OpenACS Development: Re: relations in contacts package

Collapse
Posted by xx xx on
As far as I know this package is about storing common information like phone, fax, website, and many more attributes in a general way. The question is why should this information be tied to a party?

Say you organize an event with a couple of people and want to add contact information about that event. It shouldn't be necesarry to enter a bogus contact just to associate your event with contact information. Fax, email and phone may even be handled by different parties.

An other example: say I work in different location. When I create webpages for those different worklocations (and each webpage is an object), I would need to associate attributes like address, phone, fax, etcetera with each webpage. It doesn't matter which party picks up my fax or phone, does it (as long as they know what to do of course)? Currently, however, I should make myself a group/organization and make bogus contacts for every worklocation, AFAICS.

In short, if a contact has to be a party, it will be harder for third (or custom) packages to use the contacts package for storage of common information, IMO. Especially if this "third package" evolves around rooms, locations, events, or other non-party objects.

Or am I missing something?