Forum .LRN Q&A: Re: Ladies and Gentelmen: LORSm v0.4d!

Collapse
Posted by Ernie Ghiglione on
Malte, Dave, Roc

I think using FS to do the file management of all LORS related resources and files is optimal. Even if now we have CR TCL API, I really don't see a reason for LORS to have its own interface when it could easily reuse the FS one. Additionally, we get all the perks from FS: webdav support, versioning, permissions, etc.

On version 0.1, we even were using file-storage's template for delivery. Now we aren't, but still I find it easy (and useful) to rely on FS for file management.

Maybe with time and when LORS gets a bit more specilized either on content delivery or as a repository, it will make more sense to migrate to a propietary way to handling file, but for now, FS does all we need.

<blockquote> Will it be possible to detach LORS from file storage in
the future so that LORS folders do not show up in the
file storage view ?
</blockquote>

Yes, Giancarlo has mentioned this to me before.

Maybe instead of using the FS community/class FS root folder, we can create a new one for LORS. That will prevent students to see the folders and files on the FS interface.

How about that?

<blockquote> Will it be possible to add versioning (so you can upload a
  new version of the course which creates a new version of
  each file in the course and adds/deletes new/old files) ?
</blockquote>

This will be the ultimate feature.

I'm sure that it's possible but it might be really tricky since you might need to keep track of all changes in files and versions.

Right now, course are acs_object and maybe they should be cr_items so versioning will be a bit easier.

If anyone has suggestions/experience about this, please do share them here so we can see how we can go about this.

Thanks,

Ernie