Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: What documentation does OpenACS need to train a new programmer?

How about a sample package, well documented, that illustrates the best practices?  I would say that it should include perhaps file storage, CR, Translations, ad_form/templating and more.  Or, perhaps an existing module cleaned up to use all of the facilities correctly.

Every time I write a package and people review it, they say -- why didn't you use this part of OpenACS?  How come you didn't do that?

Since most of the code I've written is based on other code in OpenACS and documentation I've read -- using existing packages as examples has sometimes led me in the wrong direction.

I'm sure this only means that many of the packages that have been written don't really have a complete grasp of all of the facilities within OpenACS, or that facilities in OpenACS have been written based on ideas or requirements from packages that are authored.

Either way, both of my employees are very intimidated at writing code for OpenACS and even though I've spent a year with it, I am able to write packages, but I wouldn't ever be able to claim that they were written properly for the OpenACS infrastructure.  However, as I learn more, they are getting closer to what I would consider using more of OpenACS's power.