Forum OpenACS Development: AOLserver/3.3.1 : Segmentation fault !

Each time I start the AOLserver, I get Segmentation fault. The log file is 639156 bytes, which is too big to be posted to the bboard. So, would you look at my openac s-error.log, please?

What could be the problem, please? Your help will be appreciated so much.

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
For starters, you should be running AOLserver 3.2 + ad12, from the aD site.  Rob's working on an ad13 to apply to 3.3.1 but he's not done yet (nor is aD paying him for this work any more, so he's doing it in his spare time).  Until he has ad13 available we should avoid 3.3.1.

Also, are you running PG 7.1.1?  You should backtrack to PG 7.1 if so, I'm afraid, until we can get stuff straightened out with the PG folks.

Collapse
Posted by Ahmed Moustafa on
Don,

I had AOLserver 3.3.1 working fine with PG 7.1 but when I installed PG 7.1.1, I got that Segmentation fault. Ok ... I'll back to PG 7.1. BTW, does this problem come from PG 7.7.1 or from AOLserver 3.3.1?

Thanks a lot.
Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
OK, PG is dying on that query due to the same bug uncovered in the 3.2.5 datamodel loading problem.  Tom Lane, much to his shame and embarassment (his words), broke PL/pgSQL so functions that do a select  and find no rows crash PG.  He shouldn't feel ashamed, this is the first time I've seen him make a dumb mistake like this in at least a year!  At least one that leaked out to release, that is.

The regression tests didn't check this case, so it didn't get caught before release.

Collapse
And, why did it work before with PG 7.1?
Collapse
Posted by Roberto Mello on
Because the bug was introduced in 7.1.1. 7.1(.0) is not affected.
Collapse
Sorry, I think I did not get it. As Don said
PG is dying on that query due to the same bug uncovered in the 3.2.5 datamodel loading problem.
, I understood that problem came from the data model of the OpenACS itself. Was I right? If so, the bug should occur regardless of the PG version.
Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
No, the datamodel loads fine under PG 7.1, it only dies under PG 7.1.1.  This was why we knew to report it as a new problem introduced with PG 7.1.1...