Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Would Openacs benefit if it had an object oriented scripting language?

i must admit as a marketeer/sales engineer, it's often easier to say "we do OO". being able to plug in something like XOtcl would certainly be a boost.

i also assume that being able to use XOtcl in the context of the CR (which is nominally OO as well) might be a win.

at the same time... what the hell - is it that big of a deal? what we have in AOLserver is a kind of OO by default - nice APIs that save us from the horros of OR mapping. there may be some cleaning up of APIs and so forth that would improve the elegance of the engineering, but is that an issue with the language choice?

as someone said to me, OO is really just a set of ideas that good programmers use by default. the efforts the community has been focusing on for about two or three years now is defining and codifying those standards in various manners.

so i think the question that should be asked is less about whether we need OO (which XOtcl can offer if need be) and more about working on documentation and improving APIs.

switching languages/paradigms would just make the whole game more of a mess.

is that why you've not piped up, Don? :)

talli